HALIBURTON HIGHLANDS SECONDARY SCHOOL
SCHOLARSHIP AND BURSARY PROGRAM
- All awards will be made on the recommendation of the Haliburton Highlands Scholarship Fund Executive.
- Candidates for awards must be full-time residents within the limits of the Haliburton County School Area, and shall have been full-time students of the Haliburton Highlands Secondary School for the year in which the award is given.
- The Candidate must have received the necessary entrance requirements and must be proceeding to further education at a post-secondary institution, or in a specialized area of study, or be in attendance at the Haliburton Highlands Secondary School. Apprenticeship is considered to be further education.
- The Candidate must not be repeating the subject in the grade for which the award is given.
- A Scholarship is awarded to the student with the highest mark in the subject in the year concerned.
- A Bursary is awarded to the student meeting special requirements and judged to be most deserving by the Scholarship Fund Executive. Consideration will be given by the Executive to such factors as financial need, scholarship, general behaviour, and involvement in school activities by the Candidate.
- In the case of a student who has chosen to defer attending post-secondary school and who wins an award which is conditional on the winner pursuing post-secondary education, the scholarship or bursary shall be awarded to the student but the award money will be held in trust for the student in the Scholarship Fund for a period of one year. If after one year the money held in trust cannot be given to the student because he or she is not pursuing post-secondary education, or if the money is not claimed by the award winning student within one year from the date it was awarded, then the money shall be forfeited and will be used by the Scholarship Committee as it deems fit. A one year extension of the deferral will be allowed if the student applies by June 30th in the year following first deferral year. The student must still be planning to attend postsecondary school. No further extensions will be allowed.
- If, in the opinion of the Executive, in any year there is no suitable Candidate for an award, the Executive may withhold the award for that year.
- In the event that two or more Candidates tie for an award, the Executive may divide the Scholarship evenly, or may make the award on the basis of need.
- Money that is not claimed by the award-winning student by December 31 of the year in which it was awarded will be forfeited and the money used by the Scholarship Committee as it deems fit for redistribution towards student awards in the future.
- Awards designated in the Directory as established are administered by the Haliburton Highlands Scholarship Endowment Fund. The values of these awards may vary because of fluctuating interest rates.