The Staff of the Haliburton Highlands Secondary School believes that academic excellence should be appropriately recognized.
All students in Grades 9, 10, and 11 who have achieved Honours and/or Perfect Attendance will be recognized at a special Honours and Awards Assembly in the Athletic Complex in October.
All graduates who have achieved Honours and/or Perfect Attendance will be recognized during the Commencement and Awards Ceremony in the Athletic Complex in June.
The students’ families and friends, and other interested people from the community are invited to attend the Commencement and Awards Ceremony.
Honours Status Criteria
Conditions for earning Honours status are summarized below:
|minimum average of 80% on 8 courses at any level|
|minimum average of 80% on 7 courses at any level|
|minimum average of 80% on 6 courses at any level|
- Marks from a variety of modes of delivery (regular high school classes, VLC, co-op, alternate education, summer school) will be used when calculating the average.
- The courses must be completed in the year for which Honours status applies.
- For summer school credits, the marks are applied to the year that provides the greatest advantage for the student.
- Students will receive an Honours Certificate for each year that the requirements for Honours status are achieved.
- Graduating students who have earned Honours status for 4 years will receive an Honours Plaque to commemorate the accomplishment.